To remember that I was loved and that I loved.....and the people who walked next to me in this little life of mine.
This poem jumped out at me this morning, so I want to document it here, so that i can remember it too. I take it out of context a little, for myself, more from a social aspect than an environmental one. But i believe that I could have saved a few of the relationships that I have lost over the years, had i just looked at them while they spoke to me to really hear what they were saying enstead getting defensive and angry. I am so quick to jump into an emotion before I even have a chance to stand back and examine. So, this was a good poem for me.
Next time what I'd do is look at
the earth before saying anything. I'd stop
just before going into a house
and be an emperor for a minute
and listen better to the wind
or to the air being still.
When anyone talked to me, whether
blame or praise or just passing time,
I'd watch the face, how the mouth
has to work, and see any strain, any
sign of what lifted the voice.
And for all, I'd know more -- the earth
bracing itself and soaring, the air
finding every leaf and feather over
forest and water, and for every person
the body glowing inside the clothes
like a light.by: Mary Oliver Shot taken in Tucson on one of our best days.
