Easter Sunday was really special this morning. We are abit 'churchless' these days, as in, sitting in a church on sunday morning has been a little elusive to our family in the last few years. We have been enjoying heading to Crofton for church lately, mainly because we have some camp friends who attend, but it's also where Mike and Laura have been going....and I love that our kids do sunday school with their cousins. But just because we are a little 'churchless' lately, doesn't mean we search after Jesus any less.
We tidied the house and grabbed a coffee from Timmies, and headed over to Wild Side with our bibles. The kids played in the water and climbed trees for a little while.....and then we called them over and Chris and I read to them about the story of Jesus and what this Sunday morning means. After a little while, we just told them the story in kid language as reading from the bible to them had us stopping every few lines to explain. {mom, what does 'betrayal' mean?}
After we got to the end of the story, and the kids went back to climbing trees and walking in the water with rubber boots. Chris and I got into a discussion. It started with me saying to him "you know, we are still the same type of people now as they were back then....full of doubt, quick to judge, and hard to convince". We got onto that topic based on how quickly Judas turned Jesus in, and how quickly Peter denied knowing Jesus....all within a time frame when they had recently SEEN all the miracles, BEEN with Jesus, been a WITNESS!! I would think I have more "right" to often be skeptical because I have never physically WALKED beside Jesus, but they were WITH him! And how quickly they denied him. So the question began: 'Chris, why do you think we weren't just made to be a little more trusting? A little more accepting? Not so skeptical?' His response was interesting to me, and has had me thinking for much of the day. He responded with "God WANTS us to look for Him. He wants us to seek Him out" We can live without him, we have food, clothing, everything we need to live. But what a full life I have lived since that night I looked for him and found him. It was a physical reaction the moment I said "I want to follow you and know you...I don't understand any of this, but I know there is something here" My mother once told me that she was so happy when i 'found religion' in my teenage years.....I guess I was a 'better' teenager compared to what some of her friends went through with their kids? But her statement has stayed with me all this time and has always made me sad on such a deep level because she doesn't understand what it was, that I found. 'Seek and you shall find'.....isn't that how it goes? My boys: You will be left alone, you are allowed to make the choices in your life, you will never be forced to 'choose' Jesus....because he wants you to choose him on your own. You need to go out and look for him. And He promises, that when you look for him, you will find him.
And don't just take my word for it....talk to people, smart people, do your research, and be sure to get on your knees and ask. This is a man that Chris brought up this morning, he is a world renowned Chemist who has a scientific viewpoint that is interesting, especially coming from the academic, evolutionary scientists perspective of life. This video is only 4 minutes, really interesting.....and very honest.
So today, on a day that celebrates a God who loves us so much, I felt much love and thankfulness.
