Friday, February 07, 2020

Final Day - Exploring Cusco!

We woke up on our final day .. Shannon was planning on taking the day trip to see Rainbow mountain with the girl we hiked Machu Picchu with, but I was out for that trip.  I told her I would be happy wandering around Cusco for the day and exploring the nooks and could do it on my own if she wanted to go on that trip ... but Rainbow Mountain really is beautiful (from the pictures), but the altitude is higher than Cusco (and we were just getting our sea legs at this altitude, no way I wanted to be stuck with a bunch of tourists on a bus with more altitude sickness) ... and it was a whole day - from 5am until 3pm ... long bus ride, crowded, though pretty, mountain ... in the end, she stayed local and explored with me ... so we started the day with a taxi to the Cristo Blanco which was located at the top of the mountain overlooking Cusco.
 We thought it was a good place to start the day and then we could leisurely hike back down the mountain to the town ....
 Such a pretty town .. we had such a nice stay exploring this week ...
 Somehow we found these back stairs that led from the top of the mountain down into town ...
 And then we saw this hole in a building with treats in it ... being run by a cat!!  We bought a drink from him ;-)




 This guy wins for weirdest mask ....
 Best travel companion .. always up for coffee and guinea pigs ... (since that is the local specialty)
 Danica kept telling us we had to eat one ... so we found a chocolate one at a local cafe....
 Oh the streets!!! 
 This lovely lady sold me the black sweater I wore all week, so I went back to her to buy my sister one (and then I bought an extra one for me!  Love it  30 solas!)
 I am such an Amazonion ....
 Kind of embaressing to say but the smell lured us in ... no Peruvian food on our last night ... but fried chicken ... but on the upswing - neither of us got sick this week!!
 Back in our luxurious suite with our final drink of the trip!  And by drink, I mean sparkling soda ... Such a fun trip and our beds were the best ... and we were the only ones in the entire hotel! Which was weird ... but fun.