Sunday, September 13, 2015

Happy 17th Anniversary ...

(can't fix the gap here ... blogger, sometimes I loath you) but we spent the weekend at Juanitas house!!

It's been really hard to feel motivated to get this blog up from this past weekend.  This past epic weekend of magnitude proportions!!  Why such a high magnitude?  Because we love being with our kids ... we love love having them near us ... but after such a crazy summer and I think feeling a bit of a disconnect in our marriage, it was time to getaway together.  Alone.
But, of course, Isaac would throw in a few minor seizures (growth spurt?), as well as a major cough into the mix.  SO at a time where we would be dotting on him, and taking care of his health, we left him with grandparents and took to the road, hoping for the best.

My new, and quickly dear, friend Darlene offered us their little 'cabin' this past summer.  We were all sitting at a picnic table talking about life when it came up for conversation.  So, back in July, I confirmed that we would LOVE to take her up on her offer to use their cabin for 2 nights in Sept for our anniversary ... feeling at the time, that Sept?  September is EONS away!!! 

Suddenly, September was here, and it was time to go!!  Turns out their 'cabin' in on the Sooke Basin (inlet from the ocean!).....and we were floored!!
Here is the little 'cabin' by the water!!

The inside shot by the front door ..... the bear greeter/footrest/table is my favorite!  We were met with a bottle of wine and a sweet card and fresh island coffee grinds!!!  We walked right in, and went to bed.....yup...at 1 in the afternoon, we crashed until 4.

Just beside the cabin, outside of everyones viewpoint, was the hottub....my love language!
The floating dock that in the morning was LOADED with seal lions!!  Even a few blond ones!  It was very fun .... at one point, Darlene and I were sitting together in the morning while Chris was out metal detecting and she laughs and says 'You here them snortin'??!!'...and I thought she said 'You can hear Norton"...and I thought 'wow, you are SO cool, you have named your own sea lion??'.....So, from then on, there was a Norton down there.....

Their beautiful West Coast home had sweet things to look at everywhere!!

We just had the best views .... check it out! It looked like a pirate ship!!

Once we woke up from our nap, we headed out to explore and hit up the Sooke Pot holes ..... pictures don't do it justice but it was nice to get outside and be together.
Not a real eventful evening as we came back to the cabin and watched a movie "The Astronaut Farmer" (2 thumbs up), and then went to bed!  But the next morning, we woke up and went kayaking in their double kayak ... no pictures from it ... but we tried to paddle out of the Sooke Basin to get to the open ocean and really misjudged how big the Basin really is ....  Came back to the cabin and I think we went back to sleep for a nap (we are both super tired).....got up and went exploring in Sooke and found some super neat stores .... this one down below was just a feast for the eyes!!

I felt pretty overstimulated after we left, there was just things to see everywhere!!!

A walk along Whiffin Spit .....

Beach Art????  Stuff like this is everywhere in Sooke ... such a creative, unexpected little place!!
Sunday morning we woke up early and went out for a coffee and I had to take a picture of my hardcore blister from yesturdays kayak trip as well as the sweetest cup of coffee in my hand .... it was a good start to the morning ... our last morning ...
Darlene came down with Obi before she was heading off for a run .... he sat on her lap happily the whole time!
At one point through the weekend, I thought I would take advantage of the second option of lodging which was the deck tent!
Isn't the inside magical?  It's also SUPER hot ....
I laid down for a little while to read a book and look out the window to the water ... and listened for Norton ....
Took a shameless selfie because I thought the lighting was right, and when does THAT ever happen ,,,here you go boys .. what your ma looks like in good light at 39!!!
It was a weekend with enough rest, solitude, and time together to celebrate a pretty spectacular 17 year partnership.  And to be blatantly honest, because it was so good, it has been that much harder getting back into the swing of a demanding life of kids, work, school etc .... the transition time back into running life is hard, until you get back used to the pace.  But we missed these boys of ours .....