Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Parental Corrections....from Elliot

Yet, once again I am schooled by my children.
 This afternoon as Elliot and I were enjoying the sun, we decided to share a chocolate cookie that were baked lovingly by the staff last night.  After the cookie was finished, without even saying thank you for the cookie, he went to the jar and took another one.  I scolded him and said, 'you put that back....' and as he is walking away I say 'sheesh.....bad boy'.  I guess I was feeling bummed that he sometimes is just such a taker without any manners......

He goes to put the cookie back, comes back and stands in front of me.

"Did you call me a bad boy?"
"Yes, i did {already feeling guilty because we don't often say those words around here...not sure why it came out....but once its out, can't take it back....} "You didn't even say thank you for the first cookie and you took a 2nd one"
His eyes start to water and he starts to cry as he looks right at me and says "You hurt my feelings"

I launch off my seat to grab him and pull him in and whisper in his ear 'i'm sorry, you aren't a bad boy, you are a great boy and i love you very much.  I didn't mean to hurt your feelings....it just hurt my feelings that you didn't even say thank you for the first cookie, so i was mad, but i'm sorry!"
He really is a great boy......me and my sharp tongue.