Sunday, June 16, 2013
Happy Fathers Day to my dad.....
This is one of my favorite pics of me and my dad. For many years, it was the picture that was on my desk and I would look at it often, but now it stands prominantly on my table in the hallway, and I pass it everyday. Its the kind of picture a parent would get of their kid with my expression if he were tickling me....but alas you can see both his hands, so this is a genuine happy face on me. We were in Assiniboine Park for my grandma's birthday. I had brought baby Elliot with me on this trip.....he had just finished his first piece of angel food cake with strawberries and whip cream, a family tradition for birthdays. He ate it in the winnipeg heat, in a diaper and a smile on his face {as well as the rest of the cake!! and ps: i am talking about elliot here, not my dad}.....but this is only only one snapshot of me and my dad in a happy moment. We actually have many....most snapshots are in my head. But now that I am a parent myself, I love him from a different perspective. He no longer has to look out for me, though he does....and he no longer has to pay for my food when we go out, though he does....he has become one of my very best friends. He is one of the first people that I call in my day.....I try to call often...and I can always tell by the tone in his voice whether we will talk, or whether he has better things going on at the time!! ;-) I know within the first 3 seconds......but I am so proud of how this guy is spending his life....he is planning and dreaming of big adventures. He is taking big risks, and expecting big payoffs....and its a real thrill to watch. I will be in my 60's soon....but I am in my 30's....with little kids, and a job and things to juggle....and he is now watching his kids in their 30's with their kids, with their jobs and their juggling. I love that he is one of my biggest cheerleaders....he wants the best for my sister and I, and he always has. Which is probably why I, too, want the best for us! And you couldn't get any better than him for a dad.....we are two very lucky girls. Happy Fathers Day dad......love you more than you know....xoxoxox
