Saturday, October 03, 2015

Junior Teen Retreat!

Friday night ... Packs just like his mom: 15 minutes before departure!!
When Deanna brings her kids over .... Yes, that's Elliot under the blanket hiding from all the love that's being hurled his way!!
On Saturday, I spent much of the day in bed wth a headache and just super tired ... It was actually really nice to have everyone else involved and busy in the retreat so I could be alone. I watched movies and slept .... Rachel was lovely and sent me videos and pictures of my kids in chapel. Elliot went on his own (he isn't a camper this year so I was happy to see him, on his own accord, take in chapel)... Our good friend Glen is the speaker this weekend which is awesome.  (As you can see from the above picture of Elliot getting mauled, his little boys love him!!)....but tonight Elliot sang and listened. It's good when parents aren't around ....
And another thing that made me heart soar was this next picture. My boy, standing with new friends at the back among a row of sitters.  It may not look like much, but to me, it shows strength and independence to not feel
compelled to do what everyone else is doing!  
While I was still laying down,  Chris wanted to confirm that I'd be down to see the "Candyland Carnival" all in action!  He's worked so hard at this - and it was quite the sight to see!! The cardboard maze was a hit (aside from my little Elliot hiding at the end to scare the kids as they emerged!!) but the gym was gorgeous!!
Even with hayrides and bonfires!
It was a good reminder, watching these kids play and even a few of them coming up to hug chris to say thank you .... Sometimes I get disillusioned and distracted to why I am still here, supporting this guy in a role that is never over, never done ... But then I get glimpses like tonight .. And it's all ok for awhile.