Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Monday - Helen, Leanne, Voting and Elliot!

Helen and I have been workmates for almost two years and I would say friends in the last year.  We've braved some major storms together (she is the home share coordinator for vitals and we work closely trying to get better lives for people with disabilities).  This past Monday, she and I met for coffee.  We try to ensure we chat first thing together on Monday mornings but she just got back from seeing her son in Toronto, so it had been awhile and a real coffee was in order!!  As we chatted about my turning 40 and how I had big goals for my 30th to hit but I have none for my 40th .... She told me a few of hers for her 50th.  I was I so inspired by her guts that I had her send me these pictures!!! Ok ... Her first goal was to start painting (meh...next!)... Her second was to learn how to row (like really row .... In a scull!? Is that right?) .... And her latest thing that ended 2 years ago because she started winning trophies and beating all the guys so they starting hitting her on the track and her family got nervous and she stopped (not unlike my mom and her Winnipeg cop experience!)..(corrected! Ha! Dad I bet you're reading this to mom as she drives-Sioux St marie here you come!!) ..but she started racing cars!!!!!  She is number 61!! Pink!! Lol ... So great.
Such a cool woman .... I always leave our conversations pretty fired up .... She is also a nurse in the neuroscience dept in Victoria when she isn't working for Vitals  .....
And here is Leanne ..... She booked me to talk over the weekend and Monday while the boys were at self defense was the best uninterrupted time.  I had to take a screenshot at this moment because my heart was overflowing.... She had just finished telling me that I was one of her longest friends... I have known this girl since she was 13... She wanted to talk to me because she felt that I would have good advice for her and I felt so flattered that she felt that way.  She has really turned her life around in the last few years.  This past weekend, she was at a retreat where the speaker was talking about mentors in our life. Leanne said I came to mind immediately .... 
Chris took all day Monday off to go mushroom picking. He goes all day on his quad .... We both got home at 4:30.  So when I got home, we went to vote!!  This is the first year that I have really tried to learn about everyone and their various platforms.  It is still so confusing and more of a "who is not the worst?" .... Even Isaac learned about all the parties this year at school!! Many of the candidates actually came to their school over the past month to talk to the kids!  Isaac had a mock voting on Friday and was telling me about why he voted the way he did ... I was so impressed with his knowledge, that Monday morning on our way to school, I still was on the fence between two parties, that I tried to pick his brain about what he knew!! Lol
At 6:45pm, CTV announced our new Prime Minister ..... Nothing like feeling like a valued British Columbian than still having your voting poll stations open and the rest of Canada has already tallied the votes and announced the winner!! 
 
And this shot is for Jenny!! Awesome auntie hat ... He went hunting for it tonight to stay cozy while he slept .... That makes both boys in toques at bedtime .... Pretty adorable.