Just wanted to document what I wrote ... love my parents ... Mexico was amazing .... counting the days until I can go back ... if only I could find a flight not 18 hours long ...
Merry Christmas mom ….
Well, you are having Christmas in Mexico with your sweet husband. You really are living the dream … though I can appreciate that it would be THE dream if Carrie and I were there too with our families. I do think it is a good goal for next year.
I really had such a good week with you mom. I love your sense of adventure and how you just make things happen. It was a nice break to just follow behind and turn my brain off. It has been a total re-immersion since I got back on that plane. It feels as though everyone has something really significant and really hard happening in their life. Whether it is relationships, or illness …. So many of my close people are struggling. It doesn’t help that Isaac is so sick either … it actually seems to highlight the struggle.
Well, sorry...this was going to be a cheery Christmas letter as your Christmas gift because I really couldn’t find something for you to open while I was there. I am not good (just like you aren’t) at buying something to buy something. But I know you like to know what's on my mind and heart … so here we are. Every commercial that comes on that is a touch sad (especially ones that have airport scenes with loved ones reuniting!), or Home Alone (1 or 2, doesn’t matter), I always cry when the mom reunites with Kevin at the end … or anything on TV that has strings in it … the violins always get me …. But tonight Laura texted and said she can’t stop crying … it’s like a faucet that she can’t turn off …. She has held it together for 2 weeks while dealing with Kerry’s diagnosis and her kids and all the details that go along with trying to love your person with an ocean between you. I can’t help but feel her sister is my sister … I have a Carrie too, a Carrie I love more than anything too and can’t imagine this nightmare …. I care for Laura … and honestly don’t really know how she is upright. I don’t know how Christmas day is going to go … I have a bit of trepidation going into the day.
Not sure I can relay to you how important that week with you in Mexico was to me. I have so many moments in my head now that make me happy and that I am clinging to at this time. Pictures like these:
Pictures like these are exactly why we vacation …. To be out of the routine and experiencing new things, and to have a week to myself was really a lottery win. So this is my Christmas gift to you that I hope you open on Christmas day and think back to our week and smile and know that you have a daughter who will be thinking of you all day today while navigating some tough stuff and trying to spread sunshine in the lives of some people who are really struggling. Enjoy your beach day and know that I wish I was sitting on that beach chair right next to you. One Mojito please!