Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Self Defense class and dressing up!!!!

Wednesday was the long day in Nanaimo.  The boys had a great day because they went home with Elliots friend Tyson after school.  Shannon is a sweet mom, she is actually the daughter of the man who sold the camp his property of the mountain that is now Wild Side.  While Tyson was with us yesturday at swimming, he mentioned that he has self defense class on wednesdays - he has been taking this class for 2 years and loves it!!  So, we decided to let the boys check it out.  So, they were at Tyson's for a few hours after school on Wednesday and them I met them at the class where Shannon was waiting for me outside.

Here is Tyson holding up the punching pads for Elliot - it was so cute watching Tyson give pointers to Elliot.
The teacher was awesome ... nothing I love better than adults talking to kids like they are old enough to understand everything.  He spoke directly to them, even when I was in the room.  After the class, he told them he had toned down todays class so that the boys could catch up a bit with technique.  He also apologized if they felt it was a 'boring' class - which made their eyes go wide because they had a blast .. so to imagine that THAT was a boring class!!  Apparently there will be alot of diversity - including knife defense and bamboo sticks (like kung foo panda?).
At the end, the kids sit, bow and then line up to shake with the instructor, have parting words and then break the board with the palm of their hand (its a plastic board).  As we were leaving, Elliot pipes up "I loved that class"...... 
We raced to the Rentons after class for family dinner ..... the kids took to dressing up.  And it was all fun and games until Isaac came down in a dress and made Chris all kinds of uncomfortable!!  It was funny ... I piped up that he didn't have too many options with all of Leilani's dress up clothes!!
On the way home, dropped off soup at Kellys house.  She isn't the most social, so I knew she wouldn't appreciate a knock on the door ... so I took this picture and texted it to her.  She loved it and even blogged about it later!