Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bye Lakeshore Road .....

These are my people.
The house will belong to somebody else in a few days .... Being on the island, I have mostly watched from afar; I moved shortly after moving into the old Spanish house.  I was in Montreal with sis when it burned, and I was on the island when they re-built it from the ground up into something beautiful.  But this magazine-worthy mansion came with expenses and constant upkeep.  I can't imagine the emotions attached to walking away from something you've built from nothing, but I can only imagine the freedom and wonder attached to NOT being attached to anything. 
 
I am reminded of the year I moved to the Island.  I needed to be close to Chris, and that is all I knew.  I had a few dollars in my pocket, I had my future partner in my sights, and that was all I needed.  I still remember my parents driving me to the island to start my new life.  It was a sad but exciting time as I moved towards a life where I had no idea what to expect and I left behind my family to pretty much start one of my own. 
 
As my parents left me in my new apartment, I remember being left with this Goldrush ticket.  Pretty sure that it was my dad who gave it to me on our way over to the island.  I've kept it all these years ... it reminds me of fresh starts ... you never know what is around the corner.  
I will have a new ticket here for my dad to celebrate their new start.