Monday, January 20, 2014

Scariest night ....

Well.... It was the 2nd scariest night if we are comparing the one in December on my parents boat when he reacted to the antibiotics.  I went from rem sleep to sprinting down the hall to the sound of Isaac yelling for help.  We found him looking terrified because he couldn't sit up, or stop moving.... I laid on him to try to steady him as it felt like he was having a seizure like I had never seen.  In hind site, now that I am awake, he was just trying his best to sit up.....continually, so it looked and felt involuntary which was terrifying....when it was over and he could catch his breath, and we asked if he could bring both arms up, he could only move one arm.  His left arm stayed motionless. We all looked at each other and chris ran out of the room to get the phone while I stayed with him trying to sort it all out in my mind.  I was beyond terrified after what I just saw, and I had gone from asleep to sprinting to stress and was about to throw up.  Chris is in the hallway looking at the phone and pushing buttons trying to figure out the phone to call rach.

Once Paul and Rach were over, I shakily got my shoes, a scarf, some oranges, some water.....had no idea what was going on.....it was hard to see straight.  We have amazing friends who were there within moments, getting us out the door with Isaac.  Elliot woke up for a quick second to ask who was going to watch him and once Chris told her Rachel was staying, he closed his eyes and didn't wake up again until the morning.

They got us in to the see a doctor really quickly ... after much investigation, we figured it was not a seizure but dead limb syndrome and he lost all feeling in his arm on the left side.  After a big neuro exam (he is getting quite good at them).....and a long talk with the doctor that we are to continue the journey to the ear nose and throat doctor......he did a quick and gentle adjustment that was a physical treatment to Benign Paroxysmal vertigo, which is what we think it is, but we aren't sure ....and then we went home.
We sure love this boy.....
When we got home, he slept for most of the morning.....we did this alot when he was a baby, but we spent alot of time today creepily staring at him while he slept.  We have both just been so heightened and scared.
This little guy, on the other hand, has been up to all his tricks!  We had a quick cuddle with french reading...he is being pushed forward to a level 8 reading level, comfortable at 6, by the end of the year should be at 13.....so he is coming along....
This afternoon was spend watching Isaac sleep; from 4 til after 6:30. During that time we had a good dinner, and spend much of it on the phone with a physiotherapist who specializes in treating vertigo....we were able to get Isaac in tommorow afternoon.   The rest of the time was spent texting with Tanya.  Turns out she texted me between clients, after the work day, she pulled over to the side of the road to text me again, and then while she was making dinner....the whole time talking about where we are at with Isaac.  I had no idea until the end when I asked where she was......I can't even say how blessed I feel to have such an angel on our team, our family's team.  She has loved Isaac since he was born....I trust her and am so thankful for her friendship and her knowledge that she shares with me.  Who knew Isaac would need as much of her care as he does.

So, the one major upside today was this; when the doctor did the adjustment for the vertigo, Isaac went home and had the worst day he's had .. ever.  He's been averaging 5 dizzy spells a day, and he had 5 within the first 5 hours of being home!  Tanya said that was great!  It means that something moved in his ear canal with that adjustment, so we can deduce that we know what it is!!  So now lets find someone who really knows what they are doing!!  It was both Susan and Tanya who nailed what this could potentially be....hopefully we will see improvement tommorow at physio.

This is great news considering it may take up to a month to get into the specialist for ear, nose and throat.....so we are moving forward.