The beginning of the long trek up the mountain. It was so interesting to pass soma by different cultures as we walked up these ancient steps.
As we began, we were lucky enough to see the endangered monkeys who live here.
Very cool stairs ...
We got to the top after a sweaty half hour or so ... Water just dripping off us. So thankful to have purchased our little (very pricey) travel towel which I took out and we mopped ourselves with it as we hiked.
So the pictures don't do this experience justice, so I will just post a couple. But I actually got teary as I walked into the main cave where the sinkhole had exposed the ceiling. It was more breathtaking than anything I had ever seen in my life.
This is the entrance once you get into the bottom of the cave, you walk through a darker hallway to arrive to this!!! See the temple bottom right? And how small all the people are?
It was like walking through the movie set of Avatar but it was real.
After the long hike back down the steps and back to the beach ....We decided to swim before catching a long boat back to our scooter....



















